Friday, January 4, 2013

The Fantasticks: Luisa


The Fantasticks by Tom Jones and Harvey Shmidt
Luisa:
This morning a bird woke me up. 
It was a lark, or a peacock; or something like that. 
Some strange sort of bird I'd never heard. 
So I said hello. 
And it vanished, flew away, the very moment I said hello! 
It was mysterious. 
So do you know what I did? 
I went to my mirror, put on my mother's necklace 
and the minute the jewels touched my skin, my eyes turned mauve. 
No, honestly! Mauve! Then blue. 
Then sort of a deep magenta when the sun hit it.... 
I'm sixteen years old, and every day something happens to me. 
I don't know quite what to make of it. 
When I get up in the morning and get dressed, I can tell... something's different. 
I like to touch my eyelids, because they're never quite the same. 
Oh, oh, oh! I hug myself till my arms turn blue, 
then I close my eyes and cry and cry 'til the tears come down and I can taste them. 
I love to taste my tears. 
I am special. I am special! 
Please God, please, don't let me be normal!

No comments:

Post a Comment