Tuesday, March 5, 2013

A Midsummer Night's Dream: Puck

A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare
Act 2 Scene 2

Puck:
Through the forest have I gone.
But Athenian found I none,
On whose eyes I might approve
This flower's force in stirring love.
Night and silence...Who is here?
Weeds of Athens he doth wear:
This is he, my master said,
Despised the Athenian maid;
And here the maiden, sleeping sound,
On the dank and dirty ground.
Pretty soul! she durst not lie
Near this lack-love, this kill-courtesy.
Churl, upon thy eyes I throw
All the power this charm doth owe.
When thou wakest, let love forbid
Sleep his seat on thy eyelid:
So awake when I am gone;
For I must now to Oberon. 


Okay, let me explain the tags on this monologue, since they're potentially confusing. I've seen Puck played by a woman and by a man, and I've seen this monologue done in a comedic style as well as a dramatic style. It all just depends on how you play it.

No comments:

Post a Comment