Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Like Dreaming, Backwards: Nell (cut version)

Like Dreaming, Backwards by Kellie Powell (cut version)
Like Dreaming, Backwards is a series of monologues and scenes about the suicide of a young college student named Nell. The play also includes monologues from Nell's mother, Leah, a acquaintance, Yale, and her friend, Natalie. For further information and advice on performing this monologue, read this note from the playwright
(cut version)
NELL:
The first time I tried to kill myself, I was ten. 
When I woke up the next morning, I was relieved. 
But then I tried again. 
I've lost count of how many times I've tried and failed. 
Now, when I wake up after taking every sleeping pill in arm's reach, 
I'm never, ever relieved. I feel trapped. 
I feel desperate. I feel like even more of a failure. 
They say suicide is "taking the easy way out". 
Let me tell you: It's not that fucking easy. 
You can't bear another second of misery - 
but your heart just refuses to stop beating.
I understand with perfect clarity that I am never going to get better. 
No therapy can help me. No medication can fix me. 
I can make everyone think I'm normal, that I'm coping, that I'm okay.
But I've never been okay. I'll never be okay.

I apologise for not posting last week! And I apologise for not being able to find the uncut version of this monologue. This is the cut version that I used to audition for UVU's production of Next to Normal.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The uncut version posted here is at http://amonologueblog.blogspot.com/2013/05/like-dreaming-backwards-nell-uncut.html

    ReplyDelete